birding-aus

water ski /Bushells

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: water ski /Bushells
From: "Keith Brandwood" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:20:17 +1100
Hi all thanks for your comments.
To give some more info as requested.Bushells is situated in on the Hawkesbury
floodplain and straddles the suburbs of Wilberforce at the eastern end and
Freemans Reach western end.It is affected by irrigation as a number of
landowners have access to it for agriculture pursuits.I have recorded 132
species over the past 40years. When conditions are suitable 100's of migratory
shorebirds use it. There are three records of the Australian Painted Snipe
since 1984. Autralasian Bittern and Lathams Snipe have also been recorded.
Again when conditions are suitable Great Crested Grebe, Black Swan and
Australasian Grebe breed there.Currently it is badly affected with European
Carp but what waterway is free of this pest.The course as been used for a
number of weeks but Hawkesbury Council have asked the skiers not to use it
until we get it sorted so it as not been used for the past 3 weeks. According
to the local paper the President of Western Sydney Waterskiers Club said that
they would use the lagoon only for a limited time as they go to the USA to
train in winter. He also said that the skiing would not affect nesting birds as
the course was down the middle of the lagoon and birds only nest around the
edges. He's a long way of the mark on that score as we all know. I am confident
the course will be removed once the true facts are presented to the appropriate
people.
the beautiful Hawkesbury 60km N/W of Sydney