birding-aus

Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Spinifexbird, Painted Finch...

Subject: Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Spinifexbird, Painted Finch...
From: Chris Watson <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:21:06 +0930
Went on a little jaunt this morning to see what was about down towards Santa
Theresa.

George Appleby and I, headed out to find Emu-wrens and we were successful -
sort of. I can confidently say that I counted, conservatively, a dozen
individual birds by ear. However, I only actually saw 4 birds and those
either at a fair old distance or very fleetingly. A word of warning for
those planning on RCEW while you're out here - the birds are in great
numbers but the spinifex is so high at the moment it is near impossible to
see the little buggers. They come up and call atop the grass as usual, but
the seed stalks are dense and towering above the rest of the plant
effectively concealing all but the most brazen singers.

Not to worry. Spinifexbird and Dusky Grasswren are very vocal out here and
giving some good views and Painted Finches are all over the shop. Flushed
plenty of Little Button-quail as we walked about.

Also had a Spotted Harrier at this site, Black Honeyeater down the road a
bit and a Channel-billed, Pallid, and Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo all calling
throughout the morning.

Chris Watson
Alice Springs

--