birding-aus

windfarms and bats

To: <>
Subject: windfarms and bats
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:07:50 +1100
A curious comparison of comments:

Australian wind farms are already killing fruit bats (flying-foxes). It
is not clear why - fruit bats have very good eye sight.
and we already know of the threat that the wind farms pose to the
Tasmanian wedge tail.

If we are surprised about fruit bats being affected, in spite of that
they have very good eye sight, this is rather understated relative to
eagles (given their eyesight). Although the mentality of bats and eagles
is different, that suggests that eyesight has little to do with it.

Philip