birding-aus

Princess Parrots from a Canadians point of view

Subject: Princess Parrots from a Canadians point of view
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:56:40 -0800
I am not much intro controversy.  I would rather go filming to be honest but
I did want to offer a bit on this one.

First of all a bit of background.  Growing up in cold Canada to me it was
nothing short of magic to think that there were parrots flying free and wild
anywhere.  snowy owls yes... but parrots?  Incredible!

While in my 20's I kept a pair of princess in my spacious aviary and I would
literally sit outside their aviary on the floor like a spell-bound school
boy watching them court and inspect their nest log for hours.  As a wildlife
researcher I was intimately familiar with the breeding biology of many
Northern boreal birds but parrots were foreign to me.  I had to know more...
 where did Princess Parrots live?  where did they feed?  Were they fast
flyers?  Did they sound like my aviary birds? I searched online for years
and turned up very very little.  Everything I read was that you would be
extremely fortunate to even catch a glimpse of a bird flying over the dunes
on the Canning Stock Route.

Then in 2008 I traveled with Greg Little to Jupiter well with the insane
idea I could actually spot them in the thousands of sq KM of desert.  And
spot them I did!   On two different occasions and filmed them as well!  I am
not actually one given to tears over seeing a bird but I was very emotional.
 A dream for years...  and now finally it came true!  One of the most
amazing things I have ever done.  Bear in mind I have filmed Scarlet Macaws
in Costa Rica and Mountain Gorillas in the Congo etc.  This was one of my
life highlights!

Before traveling with Greg I was willing to plunk down up to $3500.00 US for
any LENGTH OF TIME to see Princess.  I realize that my Aussie mates have a
much different perspective.  You have the joy of living in the Land of
Parrots.  I do not, and just for the record from my perspective I think the
price that is being offered by the CLC is (in Aussie terms)  a bloody
bargain!

This is an amazing bird and such a treasure.  So thats my story and I am
excited for all of my mates that are getting to see this icon of the Aussie
Desert and such a glorious bird...  This is an amazing opportunity and
thanks again to all Aussies that were so helpful on this site and while I
was in Aus.

Cheers!

Don Kimball
www.polytelismedia.wordpress.com