birding-aus

Dead Shearwaters

To: <>
Subject: Dead Shearwaters
From: "Innes, Angus" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:17:54 -0000
Tonya's post about the dead ST Shearwaters in southern NSW, extends the
grim picture that had been painted by my daughter who lives beside the
beach at Peregian on the Sunshine Coast of Qld - by several hundred
kilometres.

 About the first week in November, she, and a young boy who happened to
be walking on the beach, moved by compasssion rather than rationality,
had been prompted to enter the surf to rescue a couple of floundering
young shearwaters and took them to the Australian Wildlife Zoo -
inevitably without a happy ending.

Apparently there were many dead shearwaters along the northern Sunshine
Coast beaches and there had been even more a couple of weeks earlier.
She is not sufficiently knowlegeable to have aged the dead birds she saw
on the beach on those occasions, although the floundering birds were
juveniles.

I join Tonya in an interest to hear explanations of the phenomena - the
likely causes and whether juveniles are particularly at risk.

Angus Innes.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk