birding-aus

Only one Painted Snipe but a lot of Spinifexbirds

Subject: Only one Painted Snipe but a lot of Spinifexbirds
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:41:33 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Birders,
I've had a few enquiries about how our Alice Springs Painted Snipe are faring
so I thought I'd just post the news. I have seen the male bird on both Saturday
and today but the second immature bird was nowhere to be found. The Latham's
Snipe (has anyone had a good enough look at this bird to confirm its ID yet? I
haven't!) was around on Saturday but my brief visit today didn't turn it up. A
lot of birds seem to have departed the sewage ponds with the storm front that
came through on Friday night- the Banded Lapwing and Pied Herons have gone, as
have the large numbers of Wood Sandpiper which were lining the banks on
Thursday. At least one of the snipe have stayed for the time being.
A trip to the edge of the Ooraminna Ranges south of Alice on Saturday turned up
a lot of Spinifexbirds frolicking in the lush green Triodia- its great to see
these hardy little battlers having such a good season.
Cheers
Mark Carter
DesertLife: Bird Guiding in Australia's Red Centre T ++61 (0)
447358045  http://www.desertlife.com.au