birding-aus

Re: Canon Cameras (regarding TCs)

Subject: Re: Canon Cameras (regarding TCs)
From: Ingo Waschkies <>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:28:55 +0100
Hi all,

   there's a useful comparison for the use of TCs done here (scroll down a
bit)
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_600_f4_l_is_usm_review.htm
It's for a 600 mm lens but as far as I know the 500 f4 actually even deals a
bit better with TCs than the 600mm. There's little doubt that the conclusion
from this studio test is that
a) the 2x TC gives additional detail compared to 1.4x TC but
b) you need to be able to shoot at f11 to really benefit from this
c) stacking ain't worth it

Of course this is but one guy testing his equipment in his way.

Still helpful I think. I have done the same tests on my 500 f4 with
approximately the same conclusion. My 2x shots look a bit more mushy than
his, but maybe that's because I used a Kenko Pro (tested on a MkIV). After
some effort in post processing I get a good looking image with more detail
than with my Canon 1.4x. In real world conditions, images with the 2x tend
to be a little on the soft side with a lack of contrast, and they definitely
need quite a bit more post processing, but if the light conditions are
superb, I'd consider it worthwhile using the 2x TC.

I think the main conclusion with the 2xTC is to always avoid it if possible
and try to get closer, but if you can't approach the bird and the conditions
are really great then it's better to have a shot with the 2x than a very
heavy crop with a 1.4x. This will never result in a picture that looks
stunning on a pixel-level, but it will give a picture that looks pretty much
perfect if you do a 13cmx19cm print from a full frame. For web pictures
there's simply no doubt that the 2x TC is worthwhile.
The truth is also that it is always some hassle to change the TCs, care
needs to be taken to avoid dust and scratches, so in the vast majority of
days I leave the 1.4x permanently on my 500 f4. When I was shooting with a
300 f2.8 the 2x converter was pretty much permanently on, unsless I go for
flight shots in which case I take all converters off.

Just my 2cents,
Ingo

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Alistair McKeough <

--
My latest bird pictures on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/ingotkfr

Ingo Waschkies