birding-aus

Alice Springs Painted Snipe x 2

Subject: Alice Springs Painted Snipe x 2
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 01:02:38 +0000 (GMT)
Hi All,
There are indeed two Painted Snipe at Alice Springs Sewage Ponds- I saw both
this morning. The adult male bird is reasonably bold, not flinching when I
broke the skyline (as one must at this very open and exposed site) and giving
great views, but the other bird is very flighty- it flew off into nearby dense
veg and didn't re-appear. They continue to be focused around pond EP7.The scene
is developing fast at the ponds- there are now literally hundreds of wood
sandpiper and vast rafts of ducks. No doubt there are other goodies out there
waiting to be discovered...
Cheers
Mark Carter
DesertLife: Bird Guide, Wildlife Surveys & Consultancy in Australia's Red
CentreT ++61 (0) 447358045  http://www.desertlife.com.au