birding-aus

Torresian crows preying on sick feral pigeons

Subject: Torresian crows preying on sick feral pigeons
From: Belinda Cassidy <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:12:51 +1000
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the following is normal behaviour
for Torresian crows? We've attracted some feral pigeons to our backyard seed
feeder for several years, along with the native pale headed Rosellas,
toressian crows,  and crested pigeons. The feral pigeons have a tough time
of things disease wise, and typically we lose around half the flock or more
after the main breeding season. I often find their dead bodies in dark
places around our home, such as under the house, bushes and trees...its
normal for me to find.around half a dozen or more bodies per month from
November to January.  Sometimes I discover them when they are emaciated but
still alive and I have observed that they can suffer for many days until
they pass away. In those cases I have sometimes taken them to wildlife
carers or vets if I can catch them (who euthanise them).

But this year the Crows have stopped ignoring the sick birds and dead bodies
and instead have started to eat them for some reason. Last week I  saw a
group of them kill a very ill pigeon in my neighbour's yard, and then they
ate it all within several hours. They are messy killers and it doesn't
happen fast, but at least its better than the poor pigeon suffering for week
from a horrible deadly disease.

I'm not really sure why the Crow's behavior has changed? Can anyone offer
any suggestions?