birding-aus

White-winged Fairy-wrens near Jondaryan/Oakey, QLD

To: Bill Jolly <>, Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: White-winged Fairy-wrens near Jondaryan/Oakey, QLD
From: david taylor <>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:10:14 +1000
Thats very interesting Bill, particularly the point about those three species
often together - on my most recent visit to  Mosquito Creek Rd at Inglewood I
saw White-winged Fairy-wrens, Blue-bonnets and a couple of Yellow-throated
Miners!  This is the spot closest to Brisbane Ive personally seen WW
Fairy-wrens and Blue-bonnets, though I think WW Fairy-wrens have been recorded
on the roads west of Stanthorpe. Nice to hear of them near Oakey. Be interested
to hear of any other sites others may have seen  WW fairy-wrens and
Blue-bonnets closest to Brisbane.

On 13/11/2010, at 10:45 AM, Bill Jolly wrote:

> Yes, there are small populations of White-winged Fairywrens at a few sites in
> the scrubbier parts of that area to the north of the Warrego Highway roughly
> bounded by Oakey, Kaimkillenbun and Dalby.
>
> Bluebonnets occur there too, as they often do alongside White-winged
> Fairywrens in other locations - and occasional Yellow-throated Miners.
>
> This sort of thing parallels similar groupings of just two or three species
> that can be associated with a small nudge in the habitat, not amounting to a
> big shift in the avifauna, but just letting a few other spp make use of an
> area - you know "Where you see A you'll often see B" such as ground-feeding
> Banded Lapwings and Ground Cuckoo-shrikes, which will often utilise the same
> suitable paddock.
>
> Bill Jolly
>

>> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:38:00 +1000
>> CC:
>> Subject: [Birding-Aus] White-winged Fairy-wrens near Jondaryan/Oakey, QLD
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Stuart Warren and I made an attempt for the recently reported Painted
>> Honeyeaters near Jondaryan yesterday (and dipped), however a nice
>> consolation prize was a small party of White-winged Fairy-wrens on a small
>> dirt road between Oakey and Jondaryan. According to the Atlas of Australian
>> Birds this may be the eastern-most record of the species, though one dot on
>> the map exists near Amiens, west of Stanthorpe that may be equal depending
>> on where in the grid it falls. There are no records listed in Atlas from
>> the Oakey area at all.
>>
>> I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has seen WWFW in this area before, or if
>> you haven't reported a sighting from this far east before. The exact
>> location can be found at:
>> http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/10356/trip_days/10962/display -
>> the pin is on the right little dirt road, but probably not in exactly the
>> right spot. There is a description on the page to help you find the right
>> bushes.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris Sanderson
>> (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)
>> to:
>>
>> http://birding-aus.org
> to:
>
> http://birding-aus.org