birding-aus

plains wanderer deniliquin

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: plains wanderer deniliquin
From: "Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:08:40 +1100
Readers might find the following little tale of some interest/amusement (?).

I was with Phil Maher and Robert Nevinson (and 7 other birders) on one of
Phil's justifiably highly regarded "Plains Wanderer Weekends" last weekend
(a late addition to the group when a vacancy came up at short notice and I
was at a bit of a loose end). We were driving around in the Barmah Forest
when we came across a lone birder standing in the forest obviously looking
for birds. Phil stopped and said hello to him, whereupon he asked if he
(Phil) knew anything about where to find the Plains Wanderer! Phil suggested
that yes he might know a little about it, whereupon, after a short pause,
the lone birder, obviously searching his memory, asked with some surprise if
he might be that chap "Maher".

I feel pretty sure this was Bert's friend referred to in the email below.

Serendipity all round, eh.

Richard Nowotny