birding-aus

Pursuing the Great Outdoors

To: jenny spry <>
Subject: Pursuing the Great Outdoors
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:37:48 +1100
Jen,

NSW allows a certain amount of shooting in State Forests, supposedly in order to control pest species. There is growing evidence that certain hunters have been capturing feral pigs and goats from the western parts of the state releasing them (illegally, of course) into coastal forests, as it seems that there are insufficient numbers of ferals to keep them amused. Consequently, we now have feral species back in areas which have been pretty much clear of them.

I don't imagine that Victorian hunters will be any less resourceful. After all, if the hunters clean out the feral species from National Parks and State Forests, what are they going to do to keep themselves amused ? I suppose we could send them to somewhere like Afghanistan, bur they probably wouldn't like a prey that can shoot back. That is a whole different ball game.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford