birding-aus

"Twitchers - a very British Obsession" (Brit TV documentary): from a 'Br

Subject: "Twitchers - a very British Obsession" (Brit TV documentary): from a 'Brit'
From: M RODGERS <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:57:13 +0000 (GMT)
Dear Aus-birders

I wouldn't get too excited by the TV documentary; its a rather bland portrayal
of British twitchers in my opinion, produced for the non-birder.  Most of the
real twitchers would probably avoid the TV crew and certainly not go on record
with their views of the birding world, it would all be cut out or only put out
after 10.00 pm on Channel 4 after the kids have gone to bed.    Better to
follow
the advice- read Dolley's book and get hold of the new book by Chris Goodie-
The
Jewel Hunter; a UK world twitcher in the most extreme, attempting to see all
the
Pittas of the world in one year- I think it will be available in Australia
soon .

I'll be twitching my way to WA in a couple of weeks- no crowd trouble, fist
fights, car smashing , bad language at these birds I'm sure!

Matthew Rodgers
UK