birding-aus

Orange Bellied Parrot report on abc online

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Orange Bellied Parrot report on abc online
From: storm <>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:02:43 +1030
 Interesting article because I have never thought of circovirus as a
"stomach virus" (shows what I don't know perhaps or it might be news
to many people, or I might have made the wrong assumption about the
type of virus) or why antibiotics might be useful against a virus.

 I assume the information has gotten mangled in the translation.

 At least it's a report in the media and they got the name right

 cheers
 storm

 http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/08/3060023.htm

VIRUS COULD WIPE OUT ENDANGERED PARROT

        A virus is threatening a breeding program for the
critically-endangered orange-bellied parrot.

        Scientists say the stomach virus is common in many bird species in
Australia.

        They lose feathers and their immune system breaks down.

        Veterinary professor from Charles Sturt University, Shane Radial,
says an outbreak of the disease in a captive breeding program could be
fatal for the species, as there are only 50 birds left in the wild.

        Normally the parrot would not have such close interaction with other
birds but that is not the case in captivity.

        "Infections just find it easier to spread from one bird to another,"
he said.

        Professor Radial says there is no known cure and it is hard to try
antibiotics because of the size of the birds.