birding-aus

Re: Birds Australia - English Names Committee

Subject: Re: Birds Australia - English Names Committee
From: Mark Stanley <>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:29:28 +0800
I agree with Tony Keene on this. The IOC have a great set of rules but end
up with a lousy set of names - particularly for Australian birds. Bird Life
International maintain a very good world list with "under review" and "not
recognised" for questionable names. I use a world list built from the HBW
based on the fact that it is more than just a list (a picture, map, text,
list of subspecies, references and comments on how others treat a particular
species etc). Where later splits are recommended by the like of BLI or IOC
or C&B I can usually find the appropriate subspecies within the HBW, and
typically these subspecies have been illustrated. But the big advantage of
HBW is that most of the family accounts on species of Australasian
distribution have been written by Australians and the names most closely
follow what is used in the field guides here. I assign a number based on a
3 digit family designation added to the 3 digit species number in the text
with a 2 digit decimal number for subspecies and this allows me to keep
track of different birds I've seen in different countries and manage a
non-overlapping world life list and insert splits when they occur/are agreed
upon. My rule for recognising species is that if either BLI or HBW
recognises it then its good enough for me. That way I also get 3 Shrike-tits
to tick as an added bonus!

--
Mark Stanley