birding-aus

EagleCAM

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: EagleCAM
From: Geoff Hutchinson <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
This is a good news story.

At Birds Australia, Sydney Olympic Park  the two White-bellied Sea Eagle chicks
have taken their first flight off the nest earlier this week. This year we have
had two chicks grow to fledgling stage. The last few years there has only been
one chick survive to fledge, and last year the chick left the care of the
adults
very quickly after fledging.

The Eaglets are coming back to the nest when the adults bring in food so we
think that they are not venturing too far from the nest area at this time. We
still have the High Definition camera recording and displaying the action at
the
Discovery Centre. Today they returned to the nest about five times and when
feeding they were staying for quite a period of time.
We are all very relieved and very proud that they have got this far, there are
so many things that can happen during the nesting process. For those of you who
are thinking Homebush Bay, dioxin, the adults and the kids are looking
extremely
healthy. I know dioxin is a slow buildup. We have just been informed about a
test that can be done on the feathers to check for this, not sure how much it
costs but when they leave the nest area we will collect some feathers and see
if
we can find some funding to have them tested. The remediation of Homebush Bay
has now been completed and they are on the final stage of the Rhodes peninsula
so the residue in the fish and the Gulls will only get less, here is hoping for
a bright future for our Eagles.

If there are any sightings of any White-bellied Sea Eagles from the Sydney
Harbour bridge west to Silverwater Bridge it would be very much appreciated if
they could be reported to this email address.

To see the latest videos and photos go to;
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/eaglecam.html

Regards
Geoff Hutchinson
EagleCAM