birding-aus

Lethal nest materials

To: "'Debbie Lustig'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Lethal nest materials
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:13:31 +1100
The answer to your last line "Has anyone ever heard of this?" is (as I
think you know), a certain YES. The same thing happened to a raven chick
in my yard a few years ago but these are just single stories. But as you
say "This nasty story is apparently not uncommon." It is a problem for
many nesting birds, that may use string and plastic in building or
lining nests. These are often long and tangled or just unbreakable, such
as plastic rings. The animals once entangled, can rarely escape. When
caught up on growing bodies, the effects can be horrible. Similar
problems are prominent for marine animals. I recall having seen film of
a marine turtle that had got a plastic ring around its body between its
front and rear legs (obviously when little) and continued to grow
probably for many years and was very deformed with its middle
constricted and probably suffering terribly, until found that way. I
don't recall if it was found alive or dead. People should cut all
plastic rings, so they will open, before chucking, for that reason, so
that it can slip off an animal.

Philip