birding-aus

Digital Audio Recorders?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Digital Audio Recorders?
From: David Burren <>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:45:29 +1100
On 24/10/2010, at 9:19 PM,  wrote:

> We use H2 recorders to record music exams in Victoria.
> We can fit a whole day (around 6-7 hours) onto a single 2Gig SD card and
> the quality of the recordings is excellent.

Using the inbuilt mics and 8-bit WAVs or MP3s should provide great quality for
indoor recordings with any of these devices.

I do find that 24-bit WAVs do give me a bit of lee-way for post-processing my
outdoor recordings, especially when I didn't get the microphone gain just right
(I'm often concentrating more on the visuals: if I was serious about this I'd
have someone dedicated to monitoring the audio recording).

> I think there may be a limit to the capacity of card you can use, but I'm
> not sure.

The Zoom H4 initially only supported SD cards (i.e. up to 2GB) but firmware
updates did extend this to 4GB SDHC.  At the same time the H2 support was also
upgraded through firmware updates (again, I think 4GB is the limit for the H2).
The later H4N is better in this regard, but might or might not be the most
appropriate device for Tom.

I usually put a 4GB SDHC into my R09HR which is plenty for my use (even with
24-bit 48 kHz stereo WAVs, at ~1 GB/hour) but I know that 8GB cards also work.

__
David Burren
LuminOdyssey.com Photo Expeditions