birding-aus

White-throated Grasswren

Subject: White-throated Grasswren
From: Justin Jansen <>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:10:49 +0200
On behalf of Remco Hofland after earlier post inSeptember on birding-aus on
some Dutch birders who saw W-th Grasswren.

Cheers, Justin

Hi all,

Here are the details of our recent White-throated Grasswren sighting. It was at
Gunlom that 5 of us (the 6th not being fit enough to follow) in the cool,
overcast early morning of Wed Sept 15, 2010, set off into the escarpments upon
reaching the top of the steep path (where there is a small lookout over the
pond). We walked away from the trail, over the boulders, frequently stopping to
either listen or play tape, or both, for about 2 km from the lookout (according
to my GPS, as I, in order not to lose our way, had taken a waypoint at the
lookout).

In this way it took us about three hours to find Sandstone Shrike-Thrush (sev),
Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon (sev), Banded Fruit-Dove (1), White-lined
Honeyeater (sev), Short-eared Rock Wallaby (1) and, eventually, the
White-throated Grasswren. This was at an altitude of ca. 315m, at

S 13  26' 04.5" E 132  25' 34.9"

The first two in line (Peter Maaskant & Peter-Paul Schets) got the best views
as they flushed it from a gulley in between the rocks in front of them, and
when it briefly perched on top of the rock to our right two others (Remco
Hofland & Bert Pieterson) got their bins on it for a mere couple of seconds -
enough to identify it, the bird pumping the tail twice before disappearing. The
fifth person (Hemme Batjes) was last in line and missed it altogether. Although
we stuck around for another 45 minutes, we only heard it sing once from within
a cluster of boulders, but it never resurfaced...

Regards,

Remco Hofland