birding-aus

Morcombe field guide released as an IPhone/iPod touch app

To: <>
Subject: Morcombe field guide released as an IPhone/iPod touch app
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:48:02 +1100
As an unabashed iPhone and field guide junkie, and self-confessed NON-fan of
morcombe in the past (despite owning both the non and compact versions of the
print guide), this particylar app, while pricey, is great.

Although I don't like the illustrations, generally, in the Morcombe guides,
they aren't that bad, and the points of ID that are indicated are useful. This
app has the ability to compare species - I can see that as being useful when in
the field. Also having a truly poclet sized field guide is fantastic - I'm a
long time slater disciple re: pocket field guides, but can't get over the
non-taxonomic order of the last edition. Now I have a guide that does fit in my
piocket, with calls, maps, illustrations, descriptions, comparisons, and
listing ability.

$36ish is steepish for an iPhone app, but I bought the new Simpson and Day
guide for $40ish, looked through it, gave my old edition away (helping to
foster the birding spirit!!) And it's sat on the shelf since. I personally
csan't wait for my preferred guide, Pizzey et al to be iPhoned, as then we'll
have competition on a price and app front.

I'm reminded of a comic I read recently discussing the unrealistic reaction of
iphone/pad/touch users to being charged money for -good- apps, and this makes
me think of that.

All that said, I haven't had loads of time to play with it - got my final ever
exam on wednesday - but my early impressions are that this is a solid app, and
despite the $36 price tag, is worth doing. If you disagree, good onya!

I have no financial benefit from this app, although I applaud the creators for
finally filling the gap that has been evident for a few years now.

Cheers
Troy

(Posted on my work blackberry that will -never- have the range of apps that the
iPhone will)