birding-aus

Fwd: Steady Drip from a Pied Oystercatchers bill.

Subject: Fwd: Steady Drip from a Pied Oystercatchers bill.
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:39:00 +1000
Could be salty water dripping from salt glands on or near the bill. Couldn't see anything in HANZAB about this except that Sooty Oystercatchers have been seen to drink sea water.
Steady Drip from a Pied Oystercatchers bill.
Has anyone observed the following?

Some days ago a friend and I noticed water dripping very steadily from a Pied Oystercatchers bill. A pair was roosting on the roof of a boat shed about 30 meters from where we parked. One bird had its bill tucked under its wing. Water was dripping very steadily from the other bird for at least 2 minutes whilst we were watching it. Once it shook its head and a stream of water was flicked across the boat shed roof. The other bird finally brought its head forward and it too was dripping but not so steadily. They then walked over to the other side of the roof and were out of sight. The tide was just about high and I presume they had just finished feeding

Occasionally friends who have spent time watching PO’s have noticed an odd drop but never a steady drip from the salt gland.

A brief search of the Australian literature has no recorded of a steady drip.

Priscila Park. Tasmania.