birding-aus

Princess Parrots update / and Flinders Ranges

To: "Ian May" <>, <>
Subject: Princess Parrots update / and Flinders Ranges
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 06:02:29 +0000
Thanks Ian. Just to add to this, I've got some information about Mereenie Loop
Rd on my trip report site, see http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com/

When I was there last month the Centre was looking stunning. I can highly
recommend camping beside the Finke River (near Glen Helen) at the 'Finke Two
Mile Bushcamping Area'.

I've also just returned from the Flinders Ranges, a perfect contrast with
MacDonnell Ranges. The Flinders were similarly stunning, particularly in terms
of the greenness of the place, and the wildflowers. The native pine forests
before Wilpena Pound were carpeted in green grass, looking more like a pine
forest in Germany, and the Triodia grasslands were all flowering. I  found
flowering Sturt's Desert Pea at Wilkawillina Gorge - it's an amazing experience
to stumble across this plant in the wild in an unexpecting situation. Little
Woodswallow was also common at Wilkawillina, an uncommon bird this far south.
It was nice to link up with this bird, they were a feature of the gorges of the
MacDonnell Ranges and Watarrka (Kings Canyon).

Short-tailed Grasswren also seemed more common than on my previous trip to the
Flinders. On the Appealina Ruins Track (just north of the turnoff to Willow
Springs) I found Short-tailed Grasswren in flatland immediately beside the
road, and at one point a family crossed the road. While at Stokes Lookout I
found Short-tailed Grasswren 20 metres from the lookout. At both sites Elegant
Parrot regularly flew through.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby
http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com