birding-aus

Off topic - Mouse ID

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Off topic - Mouse ID
From: clive herbert <>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:54:56 +0100
Dear Nicholas,

Thanks for your reply - in answer (briefly this time!) to a couple of points:

The Mammals of the British Isles: Handbook, 4th edition, 2008, states
specifically that lab mice and "fancy" mice (for the pet trade) are M.
domesticus.

You are of course correct to question the origins of the Australian house mouse
populations as this will affect the species involved, hybrid potential etc. I
have no knowledge/evidence of where they came from but I did say in my original
posting  "assuming that" and "most likely" that your population came from the
UK, given that we "gave" you so much other junk! If not, the species result
could be very different from ours.

I agree that not all authorities have yet accepted the split - I guess the
mammal world is a bit like the bird world in that respect (but without the
twitchers wanting to propose ever more species). By the way, as an amateur
birdo i'm still trying to get to grips with the albatrosses splits/non-spilts
in C&B...............maybe even more difficult a subject to reach a concensus
than house mice?

Clive Herbert

Director

Amphibian Reptile & Mammal Conservation Ltd

67A Ridgeway Avenue

East Barnet

Hertfordshire
England