birding-aus

Inner City Bird Observations - request for data

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Inner City Bird Observations - request for data
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:20:55 +1000
G'day,

Over the last few years, I have been fascinated by the native [non- exotic] bird species that I have seen in inner metropolitan situations. For example, I have seen Willie Wagtails, Pied Currawongs and Peregrine Falcons inside the boundaries of the concrete jungle of the Central Business District of Brisbane, and Bush Thick-knees [Stone- Curlews], Striated Herons and Figbirds just outside the boundaries of that concrete jungle.

For my next research project, I have decided to collect data on the presence of native bird species in the inner sections of the five largest metropolitan areas in Australia. I'm interested in the kinds of birds that can adapt to life in the heart of an urban area - well away from the broad open spaces [natural habitat areas] that exist at the urban fringe.

Using Google satellite images, I have defined two study areas for each metro area - the high rise CBD precinct and a 100 square kilometre block centred on the GPO [i.e. five kilometres to the north, south, east and west]. I have also created checklists of species that might conceivably occur in the wider metropolitan areas.

If you have records of inner city bird observations for Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth in the period post 1 January 2000 and would like to contribute to the study, please contact me via email.

Regards, Laurie.