birding-aus

Strzelecki track, letter-winged kites etc.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Strzelecki track, letter-winged kites etc.
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:16:19 +0930
Hi all
I was disappointed to see the nest location of this bird revealed -
not because I don't want birders to see it (as many would agree I have
given this information to those who ask) but fortunately the observer
gave the wrong km distance!
Anyway I've just returned from yet another trip up that part of the
world and seen all the usual stuff - Inland Dotterel (at nest with 3
eggs), Australian Pratincole (also with a nest), Thick-billed
Grasswren, Rufous Fieldwren, Chestnut-breasted Whiteface seen at close
range after 2 minutes from starting the 'search', a pair of Gibberbird
and both other chats (crimson & orange), a family of Cinnamon
Quail-thrush (mum, dad and 3 young), Chirruping Wedgebill, 10s of
Budgerigars in small flocks buzzing around and birds breeding in
hollows in trees along creeks. Cockatiels also present.
Beautiful calm, sunny spring weather and things are starting to dry
out a bit now so here's hoping there's no more heavy rain in the next
few weeks!
cheers
Peter Waanders
Southern Birding Services