birding-aus

Crested Pigeon Wing Display

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon Wing Display
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:51:19 +1000
Thank you to everyone who replied to my query about the purpose of the
raised wing in the Crested Pigeon, most of whom replied privately, rather
than on Birding-aus.

My apologies for the delay in thanking everyone, but I wanted to consult
Frith's book on Pigeons and Doves of Australia before I responded. The
Crested Pigeon posture that I observed does indeed match the sun-bathing
posture illustrated on p. 241 of Frith's book, as pointed out by Graeme
Chapman and Philip Veerman.

The Crested Pigeon that I observed last Saturday was probably raising and
lowering the wing to warm up, because the raised wing was definitely
orientated towards the sun. But as mentioned previously by me and others,
this same display could well be used on hot days to cool down, also when
bathing in the rain or under a sprinkler, and perhaps as a means of warding
off other birds.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW