birding-aus

Where have all the Silver Gulls gone?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Where have all the Silver Gulls gone?
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:29:16 +1000
Last week I was with family and friends at Sussex Inlet for 6 days, fishing and
sightseeing with a bit of birding when practicable. One thing that I noted was
an almost complete absence of Silver Gulls. In the whole time we saw no more
than about 5 or 6.

We were on the water for a total of about 25 hours over the period, both on St
Georges Basin and in the inlet/river itself. Each time we cleaned fish at the
private jetty attached to the house we stayed in there were between 1 and 5
Pelicans who arrived before we had the boat tied up, but not a single Silver
Gull. The house backs on to one of the "canals" and has great views over the
water. When not out fishing or sightseeing we just sat and admired the view.
Lots of birds to see, but no Silver Gulls.

Far more numerous than the Silver Gulls were Masked Lapwings on almost any open
grassed area, and approximately a hundred Cormorants, mainly Little black and
Little Pied.

Highlight of the week was my first Eastern Bristlebird, at Cave Beach in
Booderee National Park. We stood on the boardwalk to the lookout and it just
walked out of the scrub directly below us. I put a photo on ABID.

Roger Giller.