birding-aus

Central Australia update...

Subject: Central Australia update...
From: Christopher Watson <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:24:00 +0930
Just an update for anyone currently traveling to Central Australia or
planning a trip in the future. The rain has continued this week and we are
experiencing a bizarre relapse into winter weather with the maximum
temperature today just barely managing 13 degrees. We've even had flood
warnings here in Alice.

The Mereenie Loop is closed, as are the roads to Docker River, Kintore,
Yuendumu, and pretty much every road except the sealed highways.

If you're traveling I suggest you keep abreast of road closures and
conditions here: http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/

I haven't had any confirmed reports of Princess Parrots moving out into
public areas yet, but I have some unconfirmed reports that some were seen
near roads in the vicinity of King's Canyon. The Scarlet-chested Parrots
have not been reported from the Docker River road since the report by James
and Alexander Watson which is now about two weeks ago, however, the road has
been closed for much of this time. I hope to get out there and check later
next week.

So the country is looking great and still has a lot of improvement yet to
come once we get a bit of sun. It's worth a trip at the moment just for the
carpet of wildflowers which seems to grow in intensity and extent with each
passing day. Local historian Dick Kimber has even suggested on the front
page of the local rag this week that there isn't a white person alive who
would've seen the deserts in the condition they are in now. Exciting times,
but I can strongly recommend a trip up here once the warmer weather has hit
as this is when it looks like things will really kick up a gear.

Chris Watson
Alice Springs