birding-aus

Birding Barren Grounds and Royal National Park

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Birding Barren Grounds and Royal National Park
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:31:34 +0000
Hi All,

Today I had to travel from Goulburn to Sydney, so took the opportunity to do
some South Coast NSW birding along the way.

Daybreak found me on the Budderoo Plateau Rd, near Barren Grounds Nature
Reserve, where in the wind and rain I still managed some good birds. There were
plenty of Fan-tailed Cuckoos and New Holland Honeyeaters around calling, and I
also managed to turn up an Eastern Bristlebird and a couple of pairs of
Beautiful Firetails. A little way along the road past the gate I also scored a
pair of Southern Emu-Wrens.

My next stop was Barren Grounds itself where in a couple of hours without
venturing too far from the top car park I managed at least four Gang-gang
Cockatoos, a flock of 8 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, more Southern Emu-Wrens,
plus a handful of other common honeyeaters.

I then headed down off the escarpment and proceeded up to Royal National Park,
where I birded Lady Carrington Drive. Here I found a male Superb Lyrebird in
the process of regrowing his tail, a group of about 10 Topknot Pigeons feeding
beside the road, a white phase Grey Goshawk soaring overhead, and a few other
more common species - Lewin's Honeyeater, Golden Whistler and Eastern Spinebill
just to name a few.

My last stop for the day was the Mt Bass Trail in RNP where I found more
Southern Emu-Wrens, a few Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters and a pair of
Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens.

In all a fairly successful day despite the poor conditions.

Good Birding

Nick Leseberg