birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:30:53 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Sep 2010.

Sun 12 Sep      Pallid Cuckoo, Boobook Owl Schofields, NSW (approx. 10km
NW of Blacktown CBD)
Along Kensington Park Rd in Schofields, I saw my first Pallid Cuckoo for
the season and saw a Boobook being mobbed by various birds. In other
areas around Schofields, I also heard a few more White-throated
Gerygones, Rufous Whistlers, a Brown Goshawk circling low, nesting Fairy
Martins etc.
Edwin Vella

        Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, White-browed
Scrubwren, Collared Sparrowhawk Eastlakes Golf Course, Sydney
Some nice bush birds at Eastlakes, all uncommon inner/eastern suburbs
Sydney species. Cuckoos feeding on caterpillars in flowering acacias.
Other species inc Collared Sparrowhawk, Aust Reed Warblers returned in
small numbers, Little Grassbird, 60+ Fairy Martins, 3 Black-fronted
Dotterel, 2 Royal Spoonbill. Water levels high, no returned snipe or
sandpipers seen.
Eric Finley

        Latham's Snipe Marsden Park (approx. 10km W of Blacktown CBD)
Along Hollinsworth Rd at Marsden Park, I saw my first Latham's Snipe for
the season and saw 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbills.
Edwin Vella

        Tawny Grassbird, Spotless Crakes (6), Australian Owlet-nightjar
Air Services Land, Shanes Park (approx. 10km NW of Blacktown CBD), NSW
This morning, Mark Fuller and I were amazed to find a very large reedy
swamp in the very northern end of the Air Services Land at Shanes Park
adjacent to the creek than runs from the south-east of the area (the
same and only creek within the Air Services land). We were initially
delighted to see at least one Tawny Grassbird (I attached a poor photo
of it) as we walked to the edge of the swamp and soon found at at least
6 (3 pairs) of Spotless Crakes in the reeds in different parts of the
swamp. They were very close to us and calling frequently with their
machine gun rattling calls but we could not entice them out in the open
with squeaking. There were also a few Reed Warblers in the swamp. Other
interesting finds at Shanes Park this morning included the usual
Owlet-nightjar peeking outside its hollow, a few Speckled Warblers
(including one carrying nesting material), a number of White-throated
Gerygones, several Rufous Whistlers, a displaying Brown Gosahwk etc.
Also heard here my first Channel-billed Cuckoo for the season. The Tawny
Grassbird brings my Blacktown LGA list to 216 species! It was also my
first time I have had Spotless Crakes in my LGA.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

        Channel-billed Cuckoo Castlereagh Cell
This morning while observing a nesting Australian Hobby, Laughing
Kookaburra and Galahs I heard the raucous call near the lakes with the
Great Crested Grebes. My first for this spring out in the Penrith area.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Australian Hobby eating on the wing Castlereagh Cell
This afternoon while observing the Great Crested Grebes at the
Castlereagh and Cranebrook Rd T-junction, I noted an adult Australian
Hobby cruise above us. It appeared to be eating a large insect while on
the wing. They do have an active nest in the area that I found yesterday
afternoon.
Ákos Lumnitzer and Joyce Vears

        Ground Parrot, Eastern Bristlebird, Flame Robin Barren Grounds;
Budderoo
Ground Parrot seen at Barren Grounds. 5 Eastern Bristlebirds calling at
Budderoo along with a pair of Flame Robins and numerous Fan-tailed
Cuckoos.
Paul Bruty

        Channel-billed Cuckoo Cross St, Mosman
Heard at different intervals over 1 hour, then flew over (loudly!) Seems
that cuckoos are slowly building up their numbers, this is the 4th NSW
record this season.
Joshua Bergmark

Sat 11 Sep      White-headed Petrel Offshore Sydney
A White-headed Petrel was the highlight of the September Sydney pelagic
trip with a total of 20 species recorded on a very enjoyable day. Also
saw five albatross species including Buller's and both Southern and
Northern Giant-Petrels.
Roger McGovern

        Emerald Dove Yippen Creek, Wauchope
One only, seen on the road at 6.40 am. I have not seen one here, or in
the area for many years.
Ian Kerr

        Common Koel Manly Lagoon
Heard the last two mornings .
Joshua Bergmark

        Swamp Harrier Penrith Swamp
Exactly one year ago I reported a pair in the swamp performing their
aerial acrobatics perhaps a prelude to mating? I have again observed
very similar behavior there this morning. (excuse the photo, they were
quite a distance from me)
Ákos Lumnitzer

Fri 10 Sep      Lewins rail, Bassian Thrush, Topknot Pigeon, Tawny
Grassbird, Reed Warbler Warriewood Wetlands/Irrawong Reserve
Lewins Rail called strongly for 2 or 3 minutes from deep cover near the
1st little footbridge in Irrawong Reserve. Pair of Topknot Pigeons and
Bassian Thrush seen near the Cabbage Tree Palm junction in Irrawong.
Tawny Grassbird seen from the elevated boardwalk at Warriewood. Reed
Warbler calling from reedbed at the water treatment ponds (with the
fountain) in the Shearwater housing estate round the back of Warriewood
Wetlands. Also a Brown Goshawk & Royal Spoonbill here.
Tom Wilson

        Brush Bronzewing Deep Creek Reserve, Narrabeen
Pair of Brush Bronzewings seen on the far side of the creek from the dog
training oval. Also here a large (60+) flock of Red Browed Finch on the
oval and the approach road (I've never seen a group that big before) and
2 very vocal Fan Tailed Cuckoo.
Tom Wilson

        White-winged Chough nesting update Nimmitta (Private Property)
The chicks I reported exactly three weeks ago have fledged as of last
Monday. I finally got to see only two of the three young fledged choughs
with the parents still busily feeding them. They were hiding at the base
of a gum tree in some fallen shrubbery. I doubt the third offspring
survived since for the hour I watched them this morning there were
clearly only two young ones that the seven adults came back to feed.
Quite often the adults would display with open wings and bills in front
of the fledglings after the food was exchanged. There is another nest
about 500m away, which is behind schedule compared to this, so I will
keep and eye on that too.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Thu 9 Sep       Tree Martins; Peregrine Falcon Greenwich
I was pleased to see several Tree Martins today near the Shell Terminal,
Gore Cove. They were breeding here in 1994-1995, but since moving back
to Greenwich in 2007 I had not seen them again till now. On Sept. 6th a
Peregrine Falcon made a run over Berry Island towards Ball's Head.
Ted Nixon

Tue 7 Sep       Black-necked Stork, Crested Shrike-tit, Spectacled
Monarch Port Macquarie
An adult Black-necked Stork was seen in the old Port Macquarie STW in
the industral estate, a pair of Crested Shrike-tits was found along a
Corduroy Firetrail in Lake Innes NR and there was an early Spectacled
Monarch at Sea Acres NR. On 5/9/10 a Koel was calling at Lyndale Ave
Port Macquarie, while on 1/9/10 Tim Morris heard a king Quail calling on
Mundays Rd off Maria River Road.
Alan & Tim Morris

        Eastern Koel, Black-faced Monarchs, Leaden Flycatcher, Rainbow
Bee-eaters Sawtell
First Koel for spring here, calling after dark (at ~19:00). Also a pair
of Black-faced Monarchs and a Leaden Flycatcher in coastal reserve.
Following initial report of Bee-eaters last week (2 Sep), birds were
passing over throughout the day on the weekend, with some birds also
hanging around in the reserve. Orioles have started calling again, and
Little Shrike-thrush also heard singing more over last few days.
Red-whiskered Bulbuls continue to sing strongly at the northern end of
the reserve. We await Dollarbirds!
Peter Higgins & Michael Cheers

        Bassian thrush Warriewood Wetland
Seen beside track in rainforest about 100 m bfore waterfall in Irrawong
section; also shining bronze-cuckoo near main road; great egret at main
boardwalk.
Carl Weber

        Wompoo Fruit-Dove; Regent Bowerbird Coorabell, Nr. Bangalow
Four Wompoo Fruit-Doves and two female Regent Bowerbirds feeding in Blue
Quandong
Phil Murray

Mon 6 Sep       Tawny Frogmoth, Powerful Owl Botanic Gardens, Sydney CBD
Tawny frogmouth roosting on Swamp Mahogany near the Macquarie Wall's
portal, and Powerful Owl shifted position but in same tree today in the
Aust Rainforest Walk - its scats show some sizeable fur clumps. Noisy
miners calling in street trees down Park St to cnr George St, and S.
Gulls swooping low at car height tonight outside Macdonalds Town Hall.
Bruce Roubin

Sun 5 Sep       Wedge-tailed Eagle, Pied Butcherbird, Cockatiel
Foreshore Walk, Mungo NP
Wedge-tailed Eagle: 2 adults flying over nest site, 1 small white eaglet
in nest (3). Pied Butcherbird: 1 adult flew to nest, calling like baby,
sat on nest, was fed by another adult, then flew off. Repeated this
behaviour again later (2). Cockatiel: many - at least 2 pairs seen
mating .
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith

        Powerful Owl Royal Botanical Gardens
As noted yesterday, still in the Rainforest Walk. Also a Buff-banded
Rail and all the usual species.
Tony and Johanna Keene

        White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes Riverstone (approx. 10km NW of
Blacktown CBD)
The pair of White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes (light and dark-morph pair) I
saw a few weeks ago, where still at Knudsen Reserve in Riverstone and
were together mobbing a Kookaburra. I would say they would be breeding
in the area. Also heard along the creek was an Azure Kingfisher.
Edwin Vella

Sat 4 Sep       Ground Cuckoo-Shrike, Banded Lapwing Euabalong Road,
Lake Cargelligo
Several Banded Lapwings & a Ground Cuckoo-shrike in a recently ploughed
field beside Euabalong Road on Lake Cargelligo side of Murrin Bridge.
Chris Charles

        Superb Parrots, Barn Owl The Escort Way between Orange and
Forbes
Driving to Forbes in the wind and rain, the day was brightened by a pair
of Superb Parrots crossing the road just west of Cudal and a Barn Owl
between Eugowra and Forbes which floated over a paddock before dropping
to the ground. Interesting to see it active at 1pm in the middle of the
day.
Iain Blake

Fri 3 Sep       Gilbert's Whistler Australian Inland Botanic Gardens,
Buronga
male bird singing loudly. (1).
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith

Thu 2 Sep       Black-eared Cuckoo Capertee Valley
The first Black-eared Cuckoo I've heard this season was calling on
private property at the foot of Mt Gundangaroo. On the same property, a
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo just arrived, Painted Button-quails and all
the other usual species including Black-chinned and Striped Honeyeaters.
Elsewhere in the valley, Turquoise Parrots seen along the roadside near
the Nioka gate on the Glen Davis Road. At Lansallos B&B on Noola Road,
several Western Gerygones in full voice.
Carol Probets

Wed 1 Sep       Eastern Osprey Ulladulla
the wind storm that hit Ulladulla last Sunday morning sadly destroyed
the Ospreys nest on the Telecom tower. When we checked the nest last
week there was nothing in it so hopefully they may try again this
spring.
Bob Rusk

Tue 10 Aug      Scarlet-chested Parrot approx 3 km E of Silverton
One male bird clearly seen perched on a small tree and then moving to
another tree close by.On the Silverton to Broken Hill road approx 3km
east of Silverton.
Garry Carter

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers