birding-aus

re.Victorian floods

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: re.Victorian floods
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:14:45 +1000
Hi Steve,
The best thing for you to do is to check the Vicroads website for road
conditions.  You will quickly find the link to the flood information and which
roads are cut.
Most of the rivers here in northern Vic flow from south to north, off the
ranges and downhill/inland towards the Murray river.
As I write both the Loddon and Avoca rivers are in major flood and are running
through my local area. In a couple more days or so the flood peak will reach
the Kerang area.  Many other smaller creeks are roaring along too. Roads are
cut off.
Further east around Shepparton the flood is also peaking and moving north.  The
forecast is for more rain next week, so its looking like the flows will
continue for some time, though the peak flood was produced by the massive
recent rains across the ranges.
I have not personally had much of a chance to get out and about to see which
wetlands are full or filling, but I have heard of a number of lakes in the
Avoca and Loddon systems which are getting water already.
I moved here in 1993, which was a flood as big as this one.  The waterbirds
across the area were in their thousands and everywhere !  I can't wait to enjoy
the spectacle as it unfolds this spring and summer.
Once things settle down I will report more on where the best wetlands are.
Unfortunately there are a number of previously naturally filled wetlands which
probably wont fill because of water diversion, drainage schemes and levee
banks. Hirds and Johnsons Swamp fit into this category. The Pyramid Creek which
passes by them has been dredged down to a depth of a few metres.  They now
require environmental allocations and human intervention to fill them, which is
also the case with the Hattah lakes remarkably enough ( except in a very big
Murray flood....maybe this one ? ?.)

I have a small lignum swamp close to home, which is full to overflowing
already.  Many different birds have arrived.  I particularly enjoyed watching a
pair of Swamp Harriers hunting Nativehens low down through the lignum, quite
spectacular.   Interestingly the Nativehens were calling from throughout the
wetland, a sound I havent heard for 15 years or more.   Wonderful stuff.

Regards,

Simon Starr,
Pyramid Hill,
Northern Victoria.