birding-aus

Mitchell falls Kimberley

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Mitchell falls Kimberley
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 07:48:03 +0930
I have just returned from guiding 14 day off track walk in Mitchell falls
area for a tour company.  We saw black grasswren on three occasions, the
first in the middle of the day within a couple of minutes of leaving the
campground.  Good views.  This was not far from the spot for birders or
little mertens falls.  The other sightings were in between the lower falls
and western gorge.

At Sureveyors pool heard a barking owl calling at approx 9.30 in morning,
located the bird which had something in its talons like a powerful owl.  The
something appeared to be a small rock wallaby.  It was difficult to say but
the animal in talons had a black fluffy tail.

We saw  many small rock wallabies some tiny(which I am having trouble
identifying, they move fast) and a couple of larger ones without the black
bushy curled up tail which I am thinking are Nabarleks

I have walked a lot in the Kimberley in the last two years but this was the
first time I had seen sightings of Pied Imperial Pigeon and Spangled
Drongos.  Kimberley Honeyeater was common and what a wild and interesting
call. Another bird of interest for me was Pacific Baza.   Shining Flycatcher
was common and Buff Sided Robin was seen on a couple of occasions. Northern
Rosella was more common than other places.  Finches were scarce.  A
biological survey done in the '70's reported flocks of 200 Gouldians.  We
saw none and not many other finches either-one Crimson and a few double
barred.   Saw long tailed on drive back to Kununurra.

Flushed King Quail, Brown Quail and a quail i couldn't identify from one
creek.

There was evidence of breeding.  Two Bar Shouldered Doves fledged but still
with pin feathers around the head.  Northern Fantail just fledged, attended
by adult bird.  Sandstone Shrike Thrush carrying nesting material and Fairy
Martins building and continued to build in rock overhand I was sleeping
under for three nights!

Gary