birding-aus

Adelaide to Alice trip report

To: AUS-Bird Webring <>
Subject: Adelaide to Alice trip report
From: Tony Crittenden <>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:04:27 +0000
Hi all

Just a quick report of the highlights from a trip with George Appleby to Alice.

We were originally going to do the Strzlecki and Birdsville Tracks, but they
were closed a couple of hours before we got to Lyndhurst.

We went via the Flinders where we saw short-tailed Grasswren at Stokes hill
Lookout, and Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby at Brachina Gorge.

Just south (9Km) of Lyndhurst we saw an Inland Dotterel and Orange Chat

Heading north from Port Augusta the countryside is in awesome shape.  at 20 -
25Km north of Marla we picked up on a lone Bourke's Parrot, and next stop was
the T&T Banded Whiteface site near Erlunda.    The weather was wet, windy and
cold and we dipped on the whiteface.

In Alice we got the Western Bowerbird at the Botanic Gardens and also at
Ormiston Gorge.   There were plenty of Grey-fronted Honeyeaters around but
fewer Grey-headed.    In the Eastern MacDonnells we saw a group of 7 Brown
Quail, and also Dusky Grasswren at Trephina Gorge.  Aslo at Trephina we saw a
pair of Spinifexbirds just outside the reserve gate.

In the Western MacDonnels we got great views of Dusky Grasswren and Little
Woodswallow at Ormiston, Black-flanked Rock Wallaby at Simpsons Gap (there was
also a pair of Collared Sparrowhawks nesting in one of the Ghost Gums here)

We missed out on Rufous-crowened Emu-wren as we couldn't get allong the santa
Teresa road due to the weather.

On the way back we saw Pied and Black Honeyeaters at ad hoc roadside stops.
Re-trying the T&T site for Banded Whiteface we were successful seeing probably
5-6 individuals - what a difference good weather makes!!.   Stopping in Coober
Pedy, we saw Cinamon quail-thrush down near the water treatment works, with at
least 7 Spotted Crakes in the ditch oposite.   A few Km south of coober we saw
Chestnut-banded Whiteface (2-3 individuals) and finally called in to Whyalla
and saw Thick-billed Grasswren along the Iron Knob Road.

A great trip given the restrictions of the weather

I am in the process of posting photos on my blog at tcphotosdotnet.blogspot.com

Cheers

tony

Tony Crittenden