birding-aus

Myiarga flycatcher

To: <>
Subject: Myiarga flycatcher
From: "Martin Wigginton" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:14:13 +0100
I am reading with interest the discussion on the Myiagra flycatcher seen by Tom
Tarrant in Darwin. This immediately rang a bell with me, as it matched very
well a bird I saw in Timber Creek on 14 September 2000 during a long birding
holiday from UK.

My notes made at the time were brief, and as follows:

" cf.  Satin Flycatcher - notably dark blue-black and glossy plumage, dark
breast more extensive than on Leaden, not sharply differentiated from whitish
underparts, but boundary marked by band of large, dark blotches.  Location -
densely wooded stream running along the back of the caravan park at Timber
Creek. Bird confined itself to the darkest areas, flitting about on usually low
branches along and above the stream up to c. 10 ft above ground."

Typical Leaden Flycatchers were present in the dry, open woodland beyond the
creek, so a direct comparison could be made.

I'm attaching a copy of the tiny, 3 cm high sketch I quickly made in my
notebook at the time. Not very good, I'm afraid, and probably the blotchiness
is rather exaggerated, but at least it gives a notion of what the breast looked
like.

I had previously observed Satin in NSW, VIC and QLD and Leaden in NSW, QLD and
elsewhere in NT - in 1994 and 2000.

Martin Wigginton