birding-aus

SW Qld trip report: Flock Bronzewings, Spinifexbird etc

Subject: SW Qld trip report: Flock Bronzewings, Spinifexbird etc
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:17:22 +1000
More sightings from the amazingly green and flourishing outback (sorry a bit late - I've been flat out with other trips, tree planting and field work ever since returning home just over a week ago).

We basically did a big loop from Bourke visiting Thargomindah, Eromangah, Windorah out to Morney Creek, Quilpie, Eulo and stopping off at Byrock on the way home. Our planned itinerary had to be slightly changed at the last minute with the road to Noccundra cut due to the Wilson River in flood.

A real highlight for me was seeing large numbers of Flock Bronzewings in the area west of Windorah (Qld) on 9th August. We first saw a flock of about 1000 in the distance at 22km west of Windorah. Then later in the day, at least 500 were seen in 3-4 separate flocks on the Morney Plain, 114km west of Windorah. We ended up seeing some of these very close to the road, with great views of stationary birds only a few metres away. Seeing these birds in the distance is almost as amazing as seeing them up close, as they wheel around like a moving cloud over the horizon, alternating brown and grey as the flock turns.

At both these areas were also large numbers of Australian Praticoles. We estimated hundreds along that stretch of road between Windorah and Morney Creek.

Of particular interest, a Spinifexbird was seen well by most of the group just off the Diamantina Developmental Road 42km south-east of Windorah, in an area of dense spinifex (virtually the first patch of spinifex you see coming from Quilpie).

At Windorah itself, close to the Nature Drive, were 30-40 Spinifex Pigeons, drinking at a bore tank.

Around Windorah the eremophilas were flowering beautifully, especially along the Nature Drive where Painted Honeyeaters were a nice bonus, in fine voice, and Black Honeyeaters were nesting. Pied and Black also seen at the rocky area on the ridge dividing the Cooper and Diamantina catchments, west of Windorah. Crimson Chats were numerous in many places but we saw no Orange.

Many thousands of woodswallows - mostly White-browed and a few Masked and 2 Little, 5km east of Eromanga. White-browed Woodswallows were seen in their thousands in several areas. Along the Paroo, Bulloo and Cooper systems they feed extensively on the nectar from Yapunyah (Eucalyptus ochrophloia - one of my favourite trees) and I feel that Yapunyah trees and woodswallows have an important association, perhaps more than is recognised.

Many of the special bush birds of the mulga were seen. Hall's Babblers, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Bourke's Parrot, Red-browed Pardalote, White-browed Treecreeper, etc. etc.... all of which we saw in various locations.

At Lake Houdraman near Quilpie, a Ground Cuckoo-shrike on a nest. The only Bustard of the trip was one crossing the road, west of Cunnamulla. I lost count of how many times we saw Brolgas.

Spotted Harriers were abundant throughout the whole of the area. So were Little and Red-chested Button-quails which we continually flushed when walking through grassland or mulga, most days of the trip.

In contrast, despite all the water we saw very few ducks, anywhere, except for a few Pink-eared, Plumed Whistling-Ducks, etc at Lake Bindegolly and at a wetland near Bourke. Certainly no Freckled. I know that they are said to be widely dispersed but we were surprised to see virtually NO ducks anywhere on the trip despite checking many wetlands and glorious billabongs. Where are they?

The flooded areas around Fords Bridge and the Cuttaburra basin between Bourke and Hungerford were teeming with egrets, herons, spoonbills, etc, in early August as they also were when I travelled through that area in May.

The Bulloo River at Thargomindah is also alive with many Nankeen Night Herons, other waterbirds, woodswallows, etc. and a Barking Owl seen while spotlighting. Plum-headed Finches were an unexpected highlight on the river walk. Two of us were also pretty sure we heard Black-chinned Honeyeater there - which seems to be a little out of range. Thargo itself had Red-backed Kingfishers in the main street.

Finally, at Byrock (80km south of Bourke, NSW) on 12th August I was told by a local that a Bush Stone-curlew had been seen right outside the hotel the previous night. Though we didn't see that, we did see many great birds on a walk the next morning at the Rock Hole, including Mulga Parrots, Major Mitchells and a Painted Button-quail.

It was a joy to see such huge areas of the country at its best. The Qld outback is like a huge park right now with expanses of vibrant green and the ground under the mulga woodlands carpeted with wildflowers. On our short trip our bird tally was 165 species.

Cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets