birding-aus

"a little bit of bread and no cheese"! and hearing loss

To: alan mcbride <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: "a little bit of bread and no cheese"! and hearing loss
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:43:03 +1000
what a fantastic resource, thanks Alan. For those interested, as Alan
mentioned, it goes through how to read spectrograms and also how to edit bird
recordings.

It also has an interesting article on age-related hearing loss and bird sounds,
which is something which inevitably affects all of us (the cells in the
cochlear which pick up the top end of the frequency range die off as we age).
The comment by Kathleen Sweadner was interesting - she is protecting her
hearing, particularly from high frequency loud noise, and believes that this
has not only preserved her hearing but actually improved it, citing plasticity
of brain cells. Does anyone know anything about this? I studied auditory verbal
therapy as part of a course once - the idea is that children with severe
hearing loss who are given cochlear implants or powerful hearing aids can be
taught to hear (and speak) by increasing their listening skills. I think
birders do this to an extent anyway - we often hear a bird when a non-birder
doesn't. It's all about attention to sounds. But can the cells in the cochlear
actually regenerate? They are not brain cells, but perhaps the links to the
existing functioning cells are strengthened? Anyone have any ideas or even
knowledge about this? It's a good idea to protect your hearing anyway - it's so
useful! Ear plugs attenuate approximately 20 dB I think across the whole
frequency range (don't quote me on that though).

cheers,

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes
Lawson, Blue Mountains, NSW