birding-aus

SYDNEY PELAGIC REPORT - AUGUST 14, 2010

To: "birding-aus " <>
Subject: SYDNEY PELAGIC REPORT - AUGUST 14, 2010
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:01:00 +1000
SYDNEY PELAGIC REPORT - SATURDAY AUGUST 14, 2010

OVERVIEW
At 3 pm on the day before this pelagic trip, I logged in to Manly Hydraulics
Laboratory's website to see that the current maximum wave heights offshore
Sydney were 8.5 metres. I assumed that there was no chance of getting out
the next day but, after discussing it with Hal (ever the optimist with
conditions forecast to ease rapidly overnight!), it was decided that we
would 'give it go' and head out. It was just as well that we did as the sea
conditions, whilst not totally benign, were perfectly acceptable as we left
the harbour and we had a marvellous day on the water in excellent winter
conditions. A total of eighteen species for the day was probably about par
for August and, although there were no rarities, the good numbers of birds
and the excellent viewing conditions ensured that everyone had a good day.
We also recorded five species of sea monster during the day, which certainly
made Steve happy (along with everybody else!).

Surface water temperatures were similar to last month ranging from 16.5degc
closer in up to about 17.4degc at the shelf break. With Rose Bay Wharf
closed, we departed Double Bay Wharf a bit later than usual at about 7.35am
and returned at 4.20pm. Sea conditions were a little lumpy with a 1.0metre
chop on top of a 1.5metre swell. Winds were from the north west at 5 to 10
knots in the morning freshening to 15 to 20 knots later in the day. With the
somewhat bumpy ride, there were several cases of sea sickness but none
appeared too serious.

TRIP SUMMARY
We left Sydney Heads with a good complement of overseas and local birders on
board, including a group of young lads from Sydney's northern beaches who
were very enthusiastic and full of questions - it was great to see and I
hope they join us on a regular basis in the future. After the massive blow
of the last few days, I was looking out for any changes to the numbers or
species of birds seen but there didn't appear to be any unusual patterns
emerging. Our first birds after leaving the Heads were a few Australasian
Gannets, Black-browed Albatross and Fluttering Shearwaters. The excellent
light conditions on the starboard side of the boat made it easy to pick out
the odd Hutton's Shearwater amongst the flutterers. A Shy Albatross put in
an appearance and then we had the first of several Fairy Prions of the day
which was close enough to the boat to clearly make out its identification
features. The albatrosses tracked the boat out to the shelf and the odd
Yellow-nosed and Wandering put in an appearance with the first wanderer
being a lovely stage 1 gibsoni. Our first dolphins of the day comprised a
huge (> 1000?) pod of Short-beaked Common Dolphins which paid us a short
visit before continuing their fishing activities.

When we reached Brown's Mountain we commenced our first drift and set up a
good slick in the breezy conditions. In addition to the four albatross
species already recorded, we had a couple of White-faced Storm-Petrels (the
first we've had off Sydney since April 2009), two Cape Petrels, both giant
petrel species, an occasional distant Providence Petrel (where are they all
this year?) and a Brown Skua. With nothing new for a while, we motored north
for a distance and then headed back west to the shelf break where we had
another drift with the only new bird being the first of three Buller's
Albatross seen on the day. We had an interesting incident when all 30 or so
albatross around the boat lifted off the water in alarm and, while we were
wondering what had caused this to happen, a fur seal popped up close to the
boat!

On the way back to Sydney, we encountered another fur seal, a pod of Oceanic
Bottlenose Dolphins and two obliging Humpback Whales which entertained us
with some energetic tail slapping exercises. Just before reaching the heads,
the sharp eyes of the young lads picked out a Little Penguin in the water
bringing the species tally for the day to a respectable eighteen. All in
all, it was a very typical winter pelagic trip off Sydney and all on board
went home well satisfied with the day.

BIRD LIST
(Note that the number in parentheses represents the maximum number within
sight at one time)

Little Penguin  1       (1)
Southern Giant-Petrel           2       (1)
Northern Giant-Petrel   3       (1)
Cape Petrel     2       (1)
Providence Petrel       6       (1)
Fairy Prion     8       (1)
Fluttering Shearwater   18      (4)
Hutton's Shearwater     6       (3)
Wandering Albatross     10      (2) one adult exulans
Black-browed Albatross  45      (18) several impavida
Yellow-nosed Albatross  12      (4)
Shy Albatross   9       (2) one immature white-capped
Buller's Albatross      4       (1)
White-faced Storm-Petrel        3       (1)
Australasian Gannet     10      (2)
Brown Skua      5       (1)
Silver Gull     200     (120)
Crested Tern    22      (10)

OTHER
Oceanic Bottlenose Dolphin              20
Inshore Bottlenose Dolphin              4
Short-beaked Common Dolphin             1000+
Australian Fur Seal             2
Humpback Whale          2

The next Sydney pelagic trip will be on Saturday 11 September 2010 departing
Mosman Ferry Wharf at 06.45am and either Rose Bay Public Wharf or Double Bay
Ferry Wharf (check with Hal ahead of time) at 07.00am. Call Hal at 0411 311
236 to make a booking.

Cheers
Roger McGovern

database 5371 (20100816) __________