birding-aus

Central Oz species

To: Birding Aus T <>
Subject: Central Oz species
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:57:29 +1000
G'day All

Just back from 5 weeks around the centre to then find out about the Princess Parrots so close to where we were. Here is some help on other species as requested by David.. More detail can be provided off-list if required.

W Bowerbird - a bower in Wanngardi Campground - the cheapest powered and unpowered site in or near town. Also in Olive Pink Gardens & Jessie Gap.

Rufous-crowned Emu-wren - The usual site on Santa Teresa Rd. Two pairs together on NE of road.

Spinifex Bird - pair 100 m before the entrance gate to Trephina Gorge NP.

Painted Finch - Santa Teresa Rd, N'Dala Gorge, White Range Mine, Arltunga, Trephina Gorge Track, Mt Gillen, Kings Canyon (In the bottom),

Chiming Wedgebill, Most places outside Alice Springs. Santa Teresa, Uluru. Kata Tjuta, Erldunda, Arltunga

Slaty-backed Thornbill - Ridge-top trail, Trephina Gorge, Salt Creek Rest Area, Stuart Hwy, 36km S Henbury Crater T/O, Mala Walk Uluru, Walpa Walk, Kata Tjuta, Kathleen Springs Watarrka NP,

Dusky Grasswren - Everywhere outside of Alice Springs, eg: Top of Mt Gillen, Santa Teresa Rd, N'Dala Gorge, Ridgetop Trail-Trephina Gorge, Standley Chasm, Ormiston Gorge,

Striated Grasswren - Looked at sites mentioned on B-Aus such Bu had to come to the same conclusions as Robert Read (an A.S. local) that they do not exist around the area and that they are extremely rare around Uluru. To get off a walking track at Uluru you have to apply well ahead for a permit and after talking to the head ranger there the only current likely site is well away from the tourist walking tracks. She is going looking next month herself.

Banded Whiteface - My never-to-be-found bird. Cant help. I can tell you lots of places where I did not find them - particularly in Gibber country near Stuart Hwy in Sth NT and Nth SAus, along two tracks to Oodnadatta etc.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Tarburton