birding-aus

Snow Petrel lumped with Squids

To: Liz <>
Subject: Snow Petrel lumped with Squids
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:32:28 +1000
Great stuff, thanks Liz, appreciated.

Alan

On 11/08/2010, at 15:28 , Liz wrote:

Totally OT but on St. Kilda off the north-west coast of Scotland the islanders
used to put fulmar oil on the umbilical stump of new-born babies and use it as
a muscle rub..  It was once thought that the high infant mortality rate of 50%
was due to tetanus carried in the fulmar oil but was most likely due to the
high prevalence of tetanus in the St. Kilda soil and poor hygiene.  They also
used  the fulmar oil in their lamps.  A fascinating place and an amazing
history.

Plumage damage by Fulmar oil is a probable cause of some mortality in Sea
Eagles and Peregrines.

See also http://www.newzealandecology.org/nzje/free_issues/ProNZES24_84.pdf
Warham, J.  (1977) The incidence, functions and ecological significance of
petrel stomach oils. Proceedings Of The New Zealand Ecological Society, Vol. 24

Liz