birding-aus

Mystery Tern at Lake Samsonvale (SE Qld)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Mystery Tern at Lake Samsonvale (SE Qld)
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:12:36 +1000
Hi All,

Was practising photographing terns this afternoon at Samsonvale Cemetery,
and I had just decided to try different camera settings when an unusual
'Crested' Tern flew past and I got several shots(... and of course after
getting incredibly sharp pictures before, these turned out to be less than
great)
I did see Crested Tern (Thalasseus bergii) amongst many Gull-billed and
Caspian but I wonder if this bird could have been Lesser-crested (T.
bengalensis)? There are often a few of this species in Moreton Bay during
winter months but I believe this could possibly be the first record for Lake
Samsonvale. The bill certainly looks shorter but not as 'orange' as others
that I've seen.

I've created a folder on my Picasa account at
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/aviceda/MysteryTern# so would welcome your
thoughts.....

Tom

PS: Sadly, I will be traveling to the Gulf of Carpentaria tomorrow for work
so will probably not be able to answer emails for a while (conceivably a
fortnight?)
--
Tom Tarrant

http://kobble.aviceda.org