birding-aus

Not trusting Governments to protect Nowingi or forests

To: Birding -aus <>,
Subject: Not trusting Governments to protect Nowingi or forests
From: John Renowden <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:08:57 +1000

Dear Ross et al,

I think individuals and organisations should express their strong opposition to the siting of this proposal at Nowingi from the outset.

As someone who has been involved in old growth forest and inland conservation campaigns for over 30 years, I have little faith that governments and bureaucrats will do the right thing if there is money or self-interest involved. Logical arguments and natural values often hold little sway. To most politicians clearing an area of bush would seem a small price to pay for this type of development.

Whilst acknowledging the work of the Malleefowl Recovery Group and other groups and individuals, I know that the Victorian National Parks Association put a great deal of work and effort into opposing this proposal, particularly through the efforts of Bernie Hayman Fox, Jenny Barnett. and others.

If both major parties can pass a bill (as has just occurred in the Senate) that allows the cutting down of our eucalypt forests, many hundreds of years old, to be burnt to supply electricity, or to be exported to supply overseas power stations, and yet have the gall to call this rape and pillage of our forests greenhouse friendly, pigs can certainly fly!! If such proposals get up, it will mean that many of Australia's forests will be fully cut over every 20 to 30 years. This will decimate their habitat value for arboreal mammals, many bird species and a range of other forest dependent animals. All Australians who care about their environment should object to this proposal in the strongest possible terms. For the record, Christine Milne opposed this part of the Renewable Energy Bill on behalf of the Greens.

John Renowden
Councillor, VNPA