birding-aus

Northern Pintail at Erskine Lakes, Mandurah WA

To: email list <>
Subject: Northern Pintail at Erskine Lakes, Mandurah WA
From: "Frank O\"Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:15:14 +0800

I saw the bird again this afternoon at 3pm. It was almost the first bird I saw! So don't know where it was hanging out the past 5 days since it was previously seen very late last Thursday.

See previous postings for directions to the end of Abbotswood Parkway. I parked on the verge behind the roundabout. It was feeding along the edge of the grass on the island in the main lake, and then it splashed around a bit as it bathed. A Pacific Black Duck swam close by to head to the shore, which caused the pintail to swim away quickly for a few metres, so it is still nervous of other ducks. We did not approach closely at all (maybe 50 metres), so we did not disturb it.