birding-aus

RFI Tasmania

To: Nikolas Haass <>
Subject: RFI Tasmania
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:26:02 +1000
Hi Nickolas et. al.,
Can't help you much with the mammals, I'm afraid.  Barred BAndicoots are
reasonably common in most bushland areas.  We have seen Potoroos at Peter
Murrell Reserve - your best place for Forty-spotted Pardalotes, too (unless you
are planning to go to Bruny Island).  Spotted-tailed Quolls are around in some
of the bush areas, but you've got to be pretty lucky.  Perhaps in some of the
open forest around St. Helens??  The Bettings, Pygmy Possums, Antechinus and
Dunnarts, I'm not so sure on.

Masked Owl is pretty fluky, unless you can get onto a roosting.  We've seen a
road-killed on on the highway between Sassafras and Elizabeth town, a few years
back now.  We've spotighted one on the dirt road between Narawntapu NP and
Yorktown.  Years ago, there was a roost site near the Hobart Airport, but I
think it's been inactive for some years.  They are sometimes seen at the
Waterworks Reserve in South Hobart, and we've been shown one in a suburban
garden in Sandy Bay some years back!  The most reliable site I've sent people
to (though not for a few years) was along the walking track through Truganini
reserve, between Sandy BAy and Taroona.  There used to be a roost about 1 km up
along the track to Mt Nelson signal station, around where the walking track
comes down right onto the creek bed.  There, and about 100m up or down the
creek is worth checking out.

Boobooks are also pretty tricky.  We've heard them at Adventure Bay (Bruny
Island) and Bicheno.  We've seen them in the caravan park at St. Helens, and in
a barn at Pegarah on King Island.  They used to be around Mt Stuart (Hobart
Suburb) bot not for many years.

Swamp Quail, we've had on the track out to West Point (near Arthur River), in
Waterhouse Conservation Area (North East), an on the track to South Bruny Light
(Bruny Island) - again, pretty 'fluky'.

Scrubtit are in lots of the wet sclerophyl/rainforest areas.  Try the Ferntree
Gully walk on Mt Wellington, the Sandspit River Track at Weilangta State
Forest, Mt Field NP, etc.

Forty-spotted Pardalotes are in decline.  Best place is Bruny Island, if you're
going there.  Check out Eucalyptus viminalis woodland pockets, especially on
North Bruny.  A few of the gullies on the East side of North Bruny are
generally pretty good.  If not going to BrunyIsland, the only other place,
really, is Peter Murrell Reserve, near Kingston/Blackmans Bay - though sitings
there have been falling.  They are mostly around the dams on Coffee Creek,
accessed from the track off Huntingfield Avenue, down beside the
telecommunications warehouse t the parking area, and walk in and around the two
dams.

Good Luck!

John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.