birding-aus

goshawk attack frogmouth

To: <>
Subject: goshawk attack frogmouth
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:39:13 +1000
An interesting observation a little earlier today. A loud squawking at my
home in the Sunshine Coast hinterland drew my attention to a Tawny Frogmouth
fluttering across the ground with a Brown Goshawk attached to its back. The
goshawk flew off when I emerged, and the frogmouth flew up to the roof. I
left them to it, but 20 minutes later, the frogmouth was again on the
ground, squawking madly, with the goshawk on its back. Perhaps I shouldn't
have intervened but I'm of kind of fond of my local frogmouth; it was by now
quite shell-shocked so I caught it and moved the bird to some dense cover. A
little later, the goshawk, perhaps still looking for the frogmouth, was
scratching at one of the bedroom windows.
Greg Roberts