birding-aus

South America

To: <>
Subject: South America
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:20:12 +1000
Good Morning Everyone

                    Have just returned from South America and photographed
around 300 species so I have started to catalogue my files as per the IOC
Birdlist v2.4 and many thanks to Gyorgy Szimuly who sent us his version in
Excel spreadsheet with corresponding numbers which makes my job a bit
easier,

even though it will take me about 6 months to get all my photo's in order.
Highlights of the trip was seeing 12 male Cock of the Rocks displaying on a
couple of mornings near Mindo, Ecuador and Angel Paz calling Maria, Maria,
Maria and his Giant Antpitta came walking up the track towards us. Maryanne
flew over after I had been in Ecuador for 3 weeks and we then went to
Galapagos for an 8 day cruise and we landed on 9 of the islands so had a
fairly good overview of the place. Highlight here was snorkelling with my
wife and on one dive we saw 25 Green Turtles and 5 Galapagos Penguins ( at
one stage had 5 Turtles in view feeding on the bottom, unbelievable!)
Lowlight was that I did not see Galapagos Petrel in the daytime ( Only had
one fly past the ship about 1 hour after sunset. We then headed to Lima and
on to Machu Pichu in the Sacred Valley of Peru, besides the breathtaking
scenery and the ancient cities of Machu Pichu and Ollytambo highlight for me
was getting a couple of shots of Blue-banded Toucanet and what I thought was
a female Andean Cock of the Rock but ended up being an Immature Male. So
after 6 weeks and some Chigger bites compliments of the Amazon in Ecuador
and surprisingly enough Machu Pichu we are back into some cold weather in
Melbourne and I cannot wait to head off to Central Australia at the end of
the month. I am sorry that I have not been updating my website but I have
had a few issues with photoshop as I had to update to the latest version to
download my photos as the older versions will not work with the Canon MK1V,
hopefully over the next few weeks that should change and good Night Parrot
hunting to you all.

Kindest Regards

Geoff Jones

Barraimaging.com.au