birding-aus

Bowra and Kilcowera

Subject: Bowra and Kilcowera
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:58:43 +1000
Hi fellow birders,
I've just got back from Bowra and Kilcowera and agree with Dave's comments.
Ian and Julie are out there most days and there are plenty of other birders
to help. I was lucky to see 2 Grey Falcons by the gate on my way in. By the
time I got Jenny Spry's attention, as she was in a vehicle in front, they
had gone. I went out with Jenny the next day and  saw the Chestnut -brested
quail-thrush and Hall's Babbler at the Stony Lookout. Maps are on a table in
the Shearers' quarters with a bird list. The following day I went out with 2
other birders and followered up Roy Sonnenburg's tip about seeing the
White-browed Treecreeper at Area 5. Roy and Barry had a group staying in the
Shearers' Quarters. It was a huge buzz to see it.
Then I travelled to Kilcowera and just before lake Bindegolly, I spotted a
group of, amazingly, 30 odd, Major Michell's Cockatoos, right by the side of
the road eating paddy mellons. I watched them for 45 minutes while waiting
for Jen to come and she got some photos. The lake was full of water and it
was amazing for me as I'd been there last year and it completely dry. There
is an abundace of White-winged Fairy-wrens near the lake. On my way back to
Melbourne I stopped by the lake and saw about 17 Plumed Whistling- ducks on
the right hand side in the Eulo direction.
The road into Kilcowera is good and I was driving a little Honda Jazz. Jenny
and I had a simply amazing day out with Toni Sherwin, co-owner of the
station. As we were heading out to the lake and I had dozed off in the back
of the 4wd, Jenny spotted a Grey Falcon while we were crossing a dry
riverbed. By the time, I got with it, it was all over, it had flown
off, and Jenny was ecstastic. Lake Wyara is about 60 percent full for the
first time in several years, and seeing the 30,000 Pelicans who are breeding
at the lake was simply fantastic. Words like pristine, and sharing in the
mystery of nature come to mind and the colours were vivid. It was one of the
best days of my life.
Driving back between Cobar and Hillston, I stopped for a walk in the cypress
pines and saw both the Yellow (little) Thornbill and Specled Warbler. The
park like pines are a delight.
Happy birding,
Patrick Scully