birding-aus

Re: Lewin's Rail and Scarlet Honeyeater records in Melbourne

To: Paul Rose <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Lewin's Rail and Scarlet Honeyeater records in Melbourne
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:35:54 +1000
Lewin's Rail generally aren't seen at Mt St Joseph pond in winter because of
the water levels. I did see one a few weeks ago crossing a path, but there are
enough dog walkers coming through that I think that spot will just be
frustrating.

John Barkla reported one on Skeleton Ck behind the Sanctuary Lakes housing
estate (10 minutes drive from the above spot) a couple of weeks ago, and I was
able to see one in the same spot a week later. That spot is tidal, so you might
have a decent chance there, although I tried again last weekend without any
luck. I think early morning is best, because there's a bike path nearby that
gets a bit of traffic. Unfortunately that means you have to wait for a day with
the tide right, but I don't know for sure that the rest of the day is no good.

I also found one at the north end of Cheetham Wetlands (5 minutes drive plus 10
minutes walk), close to the Laverton Ck mouth, but had no luck there after 3 or
4 more tries. That's also tidal.

I've tried for them several times at the Spit at WTP where they're seen from
time to time, but had no sightings at all.

If you search the Victorian Birdlines for Lewin's Rail you should find details
of all these sightings. Let me know if you need more precise instructions.

Peter Shute