birding-aus

hooded plover, beach thick-knee & glossy black cockatoo at noosa

To: <>
Subject: hooded plover, beach thick-knee & glossy black cockatoo at noosa
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 12:59:03 +1000
This morning I saw the Hooded Plover at the usual spot on the Noosa River
north shore, seen from the vicinity of the big fixed telescope on the south
shore (the third bench to the east of the scope). It was by no means easy to
find. I was there for more than an hour before high tide and did not see the
bird until an hour after high tide. When it appeared it was very obvious and
not distant; its behaviour indicated it had been there all along but was
hidden behind a small dune. The bird was associating loosely with a
fair-sized flock of Double-banded Plover.
Also showing well were a pair of Beach Thick-knee, following my sighting
yesterday of two pairs of this species at the Maroochy River further south
on the Sunshine Coast.
And to top it off, I ticked off Rohan Clarke, who had dropped by while
holidaying from Melbourne to try to see the plover.
After leaving Noosa I had nice views of very close Glossy Black Cockatoos
feeding on casuarinas at nearby Sunshine Beach.
Greg Roberts