birding-aus

White-winged Black Tern breeding in Australia?

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: White-winged Black Tern breeding in Australia?
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:45:01 +1000
After some consultation, Danny Rogers has identified a White-winged Black Tern that I saw and photographed at Melbourne's Eastern Treatment Plant near Carrum, Victoria, on Sunday 27 June, (that's right, what is normally a summer visitor in the middle of our winter), as a juvenile probably no more than 2-3 months old. This means that it must have bred in the southern hemisphere most likely Australia. Breeding of this species, which normally nests in the northern hemisphere, has not previously been recorded in Australia but has in New Zealand. Two of four photographs are on the Eremaea website Birdline Victoria.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136