birding-aus

Lake Gilles / Strzelecki Track SA, June 2010

To: <>, "'Dave & Cath'" <>, "'Michael Potter'" <>, "'Kay Parkin'" <>, "'Bert Harris'" <>
Subject: Lake Gilles / Strzelecki Track SA, June 2010
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:53:27 +0930
Hi Folks,
Just returned from a brief but satisfying trip to the Strzelecki track in
SA.
Participators: Steve Potter and Bert Harris.

Monday: Leaving Adelaide at 3am, we did a slight detour (300kms return) to
Lake Gilles to check out Western Yellow Robin (Steve) and Rufous
Tree-creeper (Bert). Also the fact that the lake was full of water!! Nice.
A quick stop at Iron Knob totally failed to find local race of Thick-billed
Grasswren (Myall) but did produce Red-throat.
Lunch at Arid Lands in Pt Augusta was quiet but still saw Chirruping
Wedgebill and White-backed Swallow - Two birds common for the rest of the
trip north.
7pm We arrived at the freshened up Mt. Lyndhurst station. Nice one Bill!!

Tuesday: Up early to head up the track 270kms to the Strzelecki crossing.
Various stops revealed a bag full of great birds. The country is looking
amazing with a tinge of green everywhere since the huge rains in February.
Highlights were, Banded Whiteface, Eyrean Grasswren and TWO pair of nesting
Letter-wing Kites at one location with a Black-shouldered thrown in for good
measure. Big numbers of Budgies and Zebra Finch. Black Falcon on the way up.
Inland Dotteral and Barn Owl on the Track on the Way Back.
The other highlight was seeing the Strzelecki crossing still with water in
it, though not moving. 100+ Straw-necked Ibis, a doz. of White-necked Heron,
Pallid Cuckoo and a few Cockatiel.
We did the drive back (230km of dirt) in 2.5 hours. The last hour in the
dark which I wouldn't recommend. Very close call with an on-coming car as we
were both in the middle of the Road!!

Wednesday: Early start at Rusty Car site produced Thick-billed GW,
Chestnut-breasted Whiteface (completing the trifecta) and a few others. The
two gates site gave us Cinnamon Quail-Thrush. The only real dip was Rufous
Field-wren.
We detoured via the Flinders Ranges on the return trip to find Short-tailed
GW at Stokes Hill. The Flinders also is looking brilliant with lots of
greenery and water in the creeks. Its going to be a great spring!
Home via a Schnitty at the Quorn Pub.

Great trip and thanks again to Bill from Mt. Lyndhurst, and John Turner (SA)
for all the good oil on the track.

Steve Potter
m: 0407 398 234
e: